Thursday, November 4, 2010

Perceptions

After viewing  the photos a friend of mine took In Quito of the locals celebrating all souls and how they celebrate the dead . It got me thinking back to my post of the other day , and with that how people perceive the world they live in and the world around us . Especially how they perceive different nationalities and  cultures when one travels .

So if I perceive things differently when I travel how do people feel when they come to my country ?
Have you ever tried to look at the city you live in from the eyes of a tourist ?
Not the touristy things and the "pretty" stuff .
But the real city , the things our eyes don't notice but are there .
 
Jozie , might be 1st world in a lot of ways , with the luxury shopping malls , top end restaurants , five star hotels and big business .
Yet often not 100m from one of those establishments you'll find a roadside hawker selling pap and vleis or some cheap item which they hope to make a quick buck off ! Ignoring the crime, the dirt , and the all important beggars . Jozie has a culture and a vibe second to none and it must be celebrated .

Where in the world can one go from shopping at a Ferrari or Louis Viton store and 15 min later be haggling over the price of a monkeys head or a snake skin in a mutti market .

South Africa is not just sandy beaches , high mountains and the bushveld , it's also it's bustling cities and mixed cultures .African time and now now . 

Mamma Africa's putu pot mixed us into a thing of beauty , so lets show it off , and expose both ourselves and tourists to the real South Africa 
and especially the real Jozie !

When last were you a tourist in your own city  ?

Lets celebrate traditions , and not think that following the western mold is always better ?

The African culture shock is what makes and drives us , 
come be shocked 

Left Right 
Left Right 

I worked to its beat 
I slaved to it 
It didn't feel right 

left  right 
left right 

From my Chest 
I felt it 
I heard it

Dhum Dhum 
Dhum Dhum 

It moved me 
I started thinking about it 

Dhum Dhum 
Dhum Dhum 

I noticed it 

It was both mine and hers 

Dhum Dhum 
Dhum Dhum 

Mamma 

I now walk to the beat you gave me 
Dhum Dhum

Always walk to the beat of your own drum !!


 




No comments:

Post a Comment